Wrestling Grades K-6
Director: John Flanagan (email) 937-974-9222
Click Here to Register Online
2018-19 Wrestling Registration Packet (Click Here)
Registration is OPEN (Closes Nov. 3)
Please read important updates for Wrestling coaches below.
Cost: $125 per person
Mandatory parent meeting and paperwork turn in: Monday, November 5th from 6-6:45p in the Bellbrook Midle School Cafetorium. Please print out registration forms and bring them to the meeting along with a copy of your child’s birth certificate. We will discuss the rules and expectations of our program. We will have a few pairs of wrestling shoes available to borrow for the season if you can find a pair that fit. ALL families will be required to volunteer at the meets several times during the season. There will be a sign-up sheet to volunteer so bring your calendars.
The following 7 forms are included in the registration packet and need to be turned in on November 5th along with a copy of your child's birth certificate...
-Wee Eagles Wrestling registration form
-Current physical signed by a physician and dated within 1 year to cover through February 18, 2018 (please only use OSHAA form that is attached)
-USA Wrestling Liability Waiver
-USA Wrestling Emergency Medical Form
-Lindsay’s Law Parent and Athlete Signature Form
-Wee Eagles Code of Conduct
-Skin lesion release (if needed)-must be signed by a physician within 7 days prior to every meet. This form is not required for the parent meeting.
All forms (except skin lesion release) must be turned in before your child can practice.
First Practice: TBD (Second Week of Novemeber). Grades K-2 will practice 5:45-6:45p. Grades 3-6 will practice 5:45-7:45p
It is mandatory that all families watch the Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Lindsay’s Law Video. When you are done, sign the form attached in the registration packet.
Wee Eagles Wrestling 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule:
December 2nd: at Beavercreek
December 9th: at Oakwood ( TBD )
December 16th: at Kettering
January 13th: at Beavercreek
January 27th: at Jamestown
February 3rd: at King’s
February 10th: Regionals at Beavercreek
February 17th: MVKWA Championship at Nutter Center
If you are interested in coaching, you must complete a coach’s application yearly. All coaches need to complete the free online course “Concussion in Sports” and provide a certificate by November 1st. This certification is good for 3 years. We can use all the coaches we can get, even if you have no wrestling experience.
About Our Program
Wee Eagles Wrestling participates in the Miami Valley Kids Wrestling Association (MVKWA). Our program is for boys and girls grades K-6.
Practices are Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and will be held at the Bellbrook SEC building between BCI and the High School. Grades K-2 will practice 5:45-6:45p. Grades 3-6 will practice 5:45-7:45p
Wrestling meets are held on Sundays from approximately 1p-4p starting in December, 2018 and finishing in February, 2019. Every wrestler will have the opportunity to wrestle at each meet. We usually have 7-9 meets including a regional and league championship tournament. At every wrestling meet, each wrestler is paired as best as possible with someone similar to his/her age, weight, and skill level and will typically wrestle 3 different matches.
Wrestlers will need a water bottle and wrestling shoes at each practice. Head gear is optional at this level, but recommended.
If you have questions or need more information please call, text, or email:
John Flanagan, Wee Eagles Wrestling Director, at 937-974-9222or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult Wrestling Coaches IMPORTANT NEW UPDATES
If you are interested in coaching either head coach or assistant coach, you must complete a coach’s application and submit to the director of your sport. This must be completed annually.
All coaches must now have a valid USA membership wrestling card.
You must register at https://www.usawmembership.com/. This includes a mandatory criminal back ground check. The fee is $35.00 for a limited wrestling coaching card. The criminal back ground check provided by USA membership for Ohio coaches will be free. You will be reimbursed the $35.00 dollars by the Wee Eagles Sports program. Please keep your receipts. You must have this membership to coach at the tournaments and assist with coaching. If you have any questions in regards to registration do not hesitate to email or call my cell phone.
Dear MVKWA Coaches:
We just got the official word tonight that the USA Wrestling web site is now updated to accommodate the $0 background check and $35 Limited Wrestling Leader membership for coaches ages 18 & over, and the $0 Limited Wrestling Leader membership for coaches ages 17 & under. The MVKWA teams, coaches, wrestlers and meets are part of USA Wrestling. That provides the necessary insurance for all involved. USA Wrestling now has been mandated by a Federal Government bill (see: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/534/text) to require all those coaching at MVKWA practices or meets to have a USA background check, USA Wrestling Safe Sport certification and a USA Wrestling Limited Wrestling Leadership membership card. The background check is only required and allowed for all those 18 & over.
When the USA Wrestling National office explained the above requirements at the September MVKWA meeting, the total cost were $70 to accomplish the above ($20 for the background check and $50 for a Wrestling Leader card). Per feedback from the MVKWA teams, USA Wrestling has reduced that to $35 for coaches that are 18 & over and $0 for coaches that are 17 & under.
The steps for getting the Federal Government /USA Wrestling coaching requirements:
- First, create a USA Wrestling account and login:
- View the 2 minute video “Creating a free account” from https://www.usawmembership.com/help
- This will show you how to setup your USA Wrestling account, user login and password.
- Then, create a USA Wrestling Profile:
- View the 1 minute video “Creating a Profile” from https://www.usawmembership.com/help
- This will show how to get your USAW ID number that you will need below.
- Your USAW ID number will be the first item in in the first row of your “My Profile” data.
- Then, get your USA Wrestling background check:
- If you are17 or under, you skip this step and you can do the next step (Safe Sport certification) right away.
- If you 18 or over, even if you are a high school student, you need to get this background check.
- View the 2 minute video “How Do I Get My Background Check” from https://www.usawmembership.com/help
- No other background check will work. You have to get the USA Wrestling background check.
- There is $0 payment for those in Ohio.
- It will take 3-14 days for the background check to be processed.
- You will get an email once your background check has been completed.
- Once you get the background check “completed” email, get your SafeSport certification:
- If you are 17or under, you can do this step right away as you will not get a background check completed email.
- Whether you are 17 & under or 18 & over, you need to get Safe Sport certified.
- The online SafeSport class takes about 90 minutes.
- View the 3 minute video “How Do I Get My SafeSport Certification” from https://www.usawmembership.com/help
- You will need your USAW ID number from above to create a SafeSport login and password.
- The SafeSport certification has 3 modules, where you will get a test and certificate for each.
- You will need all 3 certificates to pass the class. The online class will take about 90 minutes.
- Once you passed the background check and SafeSport certification, get your USAW membership:
- View the 3 minute video “Purchasing a Wrestling Leader Membership” on https://www.usawmembership.com/help
- The Limited Wrestling Leader membership has some USAW insurance with it:
- The Limited Wrestling Leaders membership will be automatically priced based on your age:
- $35 if you are 18 or over
- $0 if you are 17 or under
- You can print your USAW membership card during the above step, or you can re-print it later.
- View 1 minute video: Print a Membership Card Online
The overall web link for getting the USA background check, USAW SafeSport certification and USAW membership is https://www.usawmembership.com/ (or www.themat.com , then Membership/Login). And, as a quick reference, the link to all the help videos noted above is: https://www.usawmembership.com/help
If something comes up where you still need assistance, you can call the USA Wrestling National office at 719-598-8181 and ask for Shonna Vest or whoever is available to help you in member services.